Monday 10 October 2011

A not-first first post

I’ve been maintaining this photo blog for nearly a year now, but I now have a legitimate class assignment related to it. I'm supposed to be introspective, so here goes.

When we were assigned this post, about who we are as photographers and maybe an explanation of how we got here, I frankly had no clue what to write. I don’t have a great photographic journey with generations of family whose lives were played out in darkrooms and art galleries. In fact, with the exception of one aunt who lives on an island and paints massive, abstract canvases, my family is fairly scientifically-minded and not really one to cater to the namby-pamby world of the arts.

This says nothing about my own photographic journey though, other than to say that I have no photographic history. I’ve never set foot in a darkroom and only seriously picked up a camera in 2008. I was a book-smart student all through school, acing the early grades, skipping grade six, and eventually graduating from a highly academic high school with an International Baccalaureate diploma. I did no optional courses other than band class. I yearned to do the creative things: participating on yearbook, taking an art class. 

The day after my high school graduation, June 2005.

But that was considered verboten. To my parents (and really to me, through years of being told that art was good for toddlers learning what their hands were but useless for jobs) art was a weekend activity. I had to follow in the footsteps of my siblings: a PhD-level biotechnologist, a math/science teacher, and a research fellow in public health were the career paths of my three older siblings. Science was where the jobs were, where the future was.

So that’s what I did. Four years later, I graduated from the University of Alberta with a degree in biological sciences. I had a minor in mathematics, something that boggled my friends. Why math? Why not, is my typical response. I loved the ability to solve a problem. I’m convinced this is why I enjoy photography. When I line things up, compose things properly, and get that image, the right image, I feel the exact same as when I finally solved that partial differential equation.

University convocation, with my parents, June 2009.

Science got me nowhere. I could go into the gory details of failed jobs and unhappiness, but I won’t. The only credit I’ll give myself for doing that degree is that it made me realize that I wanted to so something different.

I lived in Scotland for a year after graduating university, trying to figure out what I wanted. I travelled and worked a grim hospital job, cleaning up biological fluids and dealing with the drunks of the night.

Portobello beach, Edinburgh. December 2009. (Seagulls, not sensor spots.)
Hogmanay celebrations, December 2009. First event I ever shot in a photojournalistic manner.

I knew things had to change, and so I turned to my second calling, something that actually interested me a bit.

And there it was. I looked into a way that I could use non-portrait photography to make a living. Funnily enough, I remember wanting to be an editor when I was young; this might be the closest I get. Loyalist, with its personal level of teaching photojournalism, is where I feel I should be. Of course, I get frustrated with assignments and my overly strong need for perfection often causes me to never be happy with a shot, but I know this is something I want to do, for once. This was cemented this past summer when I worked a 12-week internship for two weekly newspapers in Alberta, the Strathmore Standard and Hanna Herald.

My front pages from the summer.

I rarely mention what brought me here because it’s nothing exciting. I could talk about what I like shooting, like sports, documentary, and news events. I could even talk about what I have less of a fondness for (portraits, babies cooing, cheque presentations), but this is more about my journey here. It’s one that took some very long, expensive wrong turns, but one that I know ended up in the right place at the right time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment