Thursday 9 December 2010

Belleville Bulls vs. Oshawa Generals

A staple of any photojournalism student's shooting experience while at Loyalist seems to be a Bulls game. The zamboni driver could tell I was a first-year simply by the way I held a lens (my wrists are sometimes sore, but this is mostly because I hold prime lens the same way I hold zooms. I know this is a habit I need to break.)

I shot the game with a 300mm f4 borrowed from the lens pool. I've used the 300mm f2.8 before and loved it, but I didn't think my arms and shoulders would like me hauling it around all night. No monopod opportunities at a hockey game!

Anyway, somehow I managed to make it until December to photograph my first Bulls game. Being from hockey-mad Alberta, I was pleasantly surprised to see the same types of fans out here. Without further ado, my three favourite shots of the evening:

BELLEVILLE, Ont. (08/12/10) - Belleville Bulls goaltender Malcolm Subban stops a third-period goal attempt by Oshawa Generals right wing Christian Thomas as fellow Bulls Steven Strong and Carter Sandlak watch on in a home game in Belleville on Wednesday, Dec. 8, 2010. The Belleville Bulls finished off the higher-ranked Generals with a resounding 6-1 victory. Photo by Rachel Psutka. 

BELLEVILLE, Ont. (08/12/10) - A fight erupts between Belleville Bulls defenceman Bjorn Krupp (white, 4) and Oshawa Generals right wing Jeff Brown (blue, 19) in a home game in Belleville on Wednesday, Dec. 8, 2010. Also joining in the melee are Stephen Silas and Luke Judson of the Bulls and Lucas Lessio and Andy Andreoff of the Generals. The Belleville Bulls finished off the higher-ranked Generals with a resounding 6-1 victory. Photo by Rachel Psutka. 

BELLEVILLE, Ont. (08/12/10) - Belleville Bulls left-wing Michael Curtis (white) tips Oshawa Generals centre J.P. Labardo's shot away from the net in the third period of a home game in Belleville on Wednesday, Dec. 8, 2010. The Belleville Bulls finished off the higher-ranked Generals with a resounding 6-1 victory. Photo by Rachel Psutka. 
My biggest problem of the night was getting the right white balance. That, and following the puck! That thing goes much more quickly when you're staring down a 300mm lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment