Thursday 23 February 2012

Working Women

I'll get around to posting some pages from last week's Pioneer, but first I'm going to show off a few photos taken in the past couple of days in advance of International Women's Day. I'm not a raging feminist like some people in my program, and I think the idea of celebrating a gender is a bit contrived, but it was staff class and I needed to shoot something. I drew "working women" out of the hat (other choices included multigenerational women, single mom, seniors, immigrant, etc.), so I set out to find some women with interesting working situations.

BELLEVILLE, Ont. (21/02/12) - Bev Boyce, 75, is likely one Canada's oldest lifeguards. Working at the YMCA in Belleville, Ont. also as a swimming instructor, she says she gains the most enjoyment in teaching others how to swim. Pictured here on Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2012 with some of her senior citizen class, Boyce says, "If I didn't love it, I would be retired long ago." Photo by Rachel Psutka. 
BELLEVILLE, Ont. (22/02/12) - Erin Davis has been a primary care paramedic with the Hastings-Quinte EMS for six years. Pictured here at the Millenium Drive base in Belleville on Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2012, Davis says that being a paramedic is no longer a male-dominated career path. Photo by Rachel Psutka. 

No comments:

Post a Comment