Saturday 29 January 2011

Spot News, or why I feel like a voyeur

I admire spot news photos that are well done. I used to look at them and think, huh, car hit a tree. Moving on. Now I'm thinking about where the photographer parked/ditched his car, how close he is to being hit by still-moving traffic, police yelling at him, and the inevitable feeling that you're taking advantage of someone vulnerable.

I was driving around last night heading to some event or another and a car crashed at the same intersection I was in just seconds before. I literally saw the crash in my rearview mirror. I've been driving for 8 years now and have never seen that happen, so I was a little shocked at first. Because it was about a block from the police station and only a few more from the hospital, first responders were there almost immediately. It looked not too bad, although one woman was carried away on a stretcher. She was walking around first though.

BELLEVILLE, Ont. (28/01/11) - Emergency responders tend to the occupant of a car involved in a crash at the intersection of Dundas Street East and Front Street shortly after 7 pm on Friday, Jan 28. No further details were available at the scene. Photo by Rachel Psutka.

BELLEVILLE, Ont. (28/01/11) - Emergency responders transport the occupant of a car involved in a crash at the intersection of Dundas Street East and Front Street to a waiting ambluance shortly after 7 pm on Friday, Jan 28. No further details were available at the scene. Photo by Rachel Psutka.
Not the greatest, but it's the best spot news I've shot so far. On a side note, all car crashes I've photographed (three in total) have occurred at some point on Dundas St, which is also the road I live on. So if I need spot news all I should have to do is go for a walk, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment